Storm

Please login or register.

Author Topic: My bags are packed and I'm ready to go...  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Jassel

• Experienced
  • Cyb0r Points: +31/-2
My bags are packed and I'm ready to go...
« on: August 30, 2004, 02:06:37 PM »
Just 3 more days of work and the day after defines it all..

I'll be offline for I don't know how long, but I am moving to where I should be at and I am doing it on my own. And I am super excited as well as super nervous, and super anxious, and super stressed..

I'll be driving a two day trip alone to my destination and when I get there I will sleep... a lot.. Cause I sure haven't been sleeping this past little less then a week, and its just getting worse from nerves about the drive.

Anyone have any moving tips or long car rides alone tips? Cause I need em.. I'll be moving just the essentials in my little bitty 2door Honda civic, and I'm not sure if I am taking the right stuff with me.. >< And I have no clue what to do about the drive alone thing.. Luckily I have a cell in case of getting lost, hurt, car break downage, and weirdos freaking me out.

Just wanted to let you guys know I wont be around for a little bit after this Wednesday though.. *hugs*

Offline Schuyler

• Experienced
  • Cyb0r Points: +17/-32
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 02:11:30 PM »
GL Jassel on joo drive to your new home 0.0 *hugglez*!!!

Offline Feetus

• Don't blame me
  • Administrator
  • Grandmaster
  • Cyb0r Points: +122/-63
  • Must .... spam .... more ....
  • Anarchy Online: Feetus
  • AO Alts: Treydor, Pimperoni
  • Steam: Feetus
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 03:19:46 AM »
As for long distance moving stuff ...

Write down a list of the basics and make for damn sure you got those. Everything else is really just extra stuff that makes you comfortable, but you need the basics. These are things such as any shower/bath product you make use of on a daily basis (toilet paper, shampoo, soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, etc). Make sure to bring a pillow and blanket, some fresh clothes to wear for a few days. Everything else that you want to take is optional, and so you just prioritize and load it up.

If you gather everything in advance, which is best, then line things up towards the door with the things that must go being the closest to it, and then the things that are least important in the back. This makes it much more simple to load the important things right up front and then as you start running out of space, you don't have to worry so much that you might be missing something important. Also, if you have made a check list of the important things, check them off as you load them so that you don't end up wondering, "Did I load that or did I forget that?". Even with it lined up, you will have so many things going on that writing it down and marking it off makes it easier.

I recommend that at least the day before your trip, if its a long one, have your oil changed, check your tires to make sure they have good tread on them, and fill up any of your fluids. Most oil change places tend to do this stuff as well, but you might want to at least double check the tire tread yourself to make sure. The last thing you want is a blow out during this.

Make sure to check your spare tire as well. Make certain you have a car jack in the car already, jumper cables, road flares are handy if you can get them, and a can of fix-a-flat too. Fill up the gas the night before so you don't forget it during the rush of everything in the morning of the move, and it saves you time.

The last thing that I think is rather important is to get a (long distance) calling card. I don't know what country you're in, but hopefully the phone companies there have those. Even if you have a cell phone, still get one just incase you cannot get cell phone service or incase it dies out and you have to make a call. At least with a phone card, you should be able to use it at any pay phone to make a call to others for help. Oh yea, and don't forget to bring some cash for any other needs that may arise.

So just make sure you got about everything figured out and laid out ahead of time, grab your favorite CD's and drop them in the front seat the night before (so you don't forget them), make sure your sunglasses are up there too, and enjoy the drive. Oh ... and don't drink soda or anything during the drive if you're not really thirsty. Having to stop for piss breaks sucks, imo.

Good luck. 8)

Offline Thedeacon

• Experienced
  • Cyb0r Points: +2/-4
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 04:11:07 AM »
AUDIO BOOKS.

There is seriously no better way to pass the time in a car than an excellent audio book or ten.  It's like a portable time travel device.  If the story is good enough, you will find hours pass faster than you can count them.

Music CDs are good, but if you're travelling alone over a long distance, they aren't going to be enough by far.

Also, buy something from a gift shop, something you normally wouldn't find anywhere else.  Doesn't have to be extravagant or anything, but it makes the gas refills tolerable as well.

Finally, careful what you eat....While driving from Wisconsin to Las Vegas during my move, I had a couple of "maalox moments" in the middle of the desert, with no gas station or anything within 50 miles.  Yeah, that really does suck...

edit: I just saw that you're female.  Please be extra careful and don't accept help from single men if you can avoid it.  Bring some water + antifreeze along for the radiator, just in case.  If pepper spray is legal where you are, bring that too.  Jumper cables are a must.  If you don't need them, I'm willing to bet you'll see someone that will.  

If you see someone stuck on the side of the road, don't ignore them, instead call a tow truck, but don't let them approach your car.  It's good to help folks, but Ted Bundy used the "broken down car" story to catch a few women unawares.

Once more, ACCEPT NO HELP FROM A MAN UNLESS HE HAS KIDS WITH HIM and under NO circumstances at all, accept a ride with a man!!!!!!
WoW: Firetree's #1 Ganking undead priest

Offline frakk

• Storm Member
  • Grandmaster
  • Cyb0r Points: +21/-18
  • Planting his seeds in the P2P world.
    • http://home.no.net/frakk2k
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 05:10:43 AM »
Quote from: Thedeacon
.. and under NO circumstances at all, accept a ride with a man!!!!!!

"Hey baby, wanna have a ride?" *HOOOOWL*

Wow, you americans sure are paranoid :)

*giggle*

Frakk : 205 or something MA - I am also Sunye, Amazing doctor during the day, shemale stripper at night!

Offline Critt

• Apprentice
  • Cyb0r Points: +0/-0
Re: My bags are packed and I'm ready to go...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 05:30:49 AM »
Quote from: Jassel
Just 3 more days of work and the day after defines it all..

I'll be offline for I don't know how long, but I am moving to where I should be at and I am doing it on my own. And I am super excited as well as super nervous, and super anxious, and super stressed..

I'll be driving a two day trip alone to my destination and when I get there I will sleep... a lot.. Cause I sure haven't been sleeping this past little less then a week, and its just getting worse from nerves about the drive.

Anyone have any moving tips or long car rides alone tips? Cause I need em.. I'll be moving just the essentials in my little bitty 2door Honda civic, and I'm not sure if I am taking the right stuff with me.. >< And I have no clue what to do about the drive alone thing.. Luckily I have a cell in case of getting lost, hurt, car break downage, and weirdos freaking me out.

Just wanted to let you guys know I wont be around for a little bit after this Wednesday though.. *hugs*

sounds..super? ..

Offline Thedeacon

• Experienced
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 05:31:31 AM »
Quote from: frakk

*giggle*

That's because Americans have reasons to be paranoid :(

Offline Jassel

• Experienced
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 05:34:47 AM »
Feetus: I wrote up a list, and I have most the stuff packed up, and kinda in order. I'm kind of treating this like I do my vacations.. I am a super organized traveler. My car is getting a full inspection and oil change tomorrow morning, and its being done by a close friend that works at his dad's shop. So I know he'll take care of me, he's worried about me driving there as well. My mom got me a calling card just in case, she must have been on ESP with you or something, cause she said about the same thing to me that you did :) I live in the US, and I'll be moving pretty close to you actually....  :twisted:  Cd's are already in the car from everyday use, and as for the car stuff.. I know nothing about cars.. Do they make little kits I can buy, and this might sound dumb.. But where is my spare tire? I have never seen one on my car O.o  :oops:

Deac: A co-worker suggested those to me as well, I may have to look into it before I go. I have a ton of music but I know even that can seem to put me to sleep sometimes if I am too tired. I am always careful with what I eat.. I'm a salad, fruits and veggies girl :) No junk food here, makes me sick cause I never eat it.. Least I think that's why it makes me sick :? And yeah my dad warned me about the strange men.. I've been trying to get in the habit of locking the doors when I get in the car, and everyone has been telling me to be careful ever where I stop. I'll have to look for something to carry with me for late night and deserted stops. My step sister recommended that I hold my longest key pointing straight out from my fist between my middle and pointer fingers in my punching hand.. so I can use it to hurt them if they come at me.. But I don't think a key will do much damage unless I hit their eye or something. And I'll just try to steer clear of single anyone walking around. Cause even women can hurt me :(

Frakk: We are for a reason.. This stuff actually happens here.. Everyday.. Sometimes some Americans can be over paranoid, but when it comes to women traveling alone.. It happens way too much. And it frightens me. Never used to till now that I am going on a long trip by myself.. And Arkansas scares me too.. I won't be stopping there unless I have to >.<

Thanks for the advice guys! I am using it all, and keep it coming if you think of more please.. I need all I can get :?  :(   :oops:

Offline Lilasiandude

• Experienced
  • Cyb0r Points: +4/-3
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 05:36:37 AM »
damn deacon.

you're a paranoid mofo.

anyway

If you need to pass time, just sing or talk to yourself alot. Nobody else is with you, so you wont look crazy.  :P
- Lilasiandude

- Sllammer

Offline Lilasiandude

• Experienced
  • Cyb0r Points: +4/-3
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 05:50:16 AM »
your spare tire is in your trunk, underneath the carpeting. (I got a 2 door

civic too.)

I'm not sure what kind of "little kit" you might want,  but get a can of "fix a flat".  It doesn't always work, but I have had it actually work once.

You connect it to your flattened tire, and it fills it up and seals it. Gives you enough to at least get somehwere to have your tire changed.(if it works)

Lucky for you, you're driving a civic.  With the amazing ammount of hell i've put my car through, I can gladly say those cars dont die. (I have over 192K miles of torture put on my car, and it still runs great)

I wouldn't even bother worrying about holding your key in your fist. Odds are, you're only going to piss an attacker off if you hit them with it.

If you're really worried about it,  mase/pepper spray would be best.

squirt them in the face, and run like hell.

Not stopping in arkansas is a good idea. Damn inbred hicks.   :P

If you start getting really tired, you can do like me and speed way up, and start swerving all over the raod.  It always wakes me up to spin my car out or something.

well, good luck with your trip. road trips can be fun, but not so much by your self.
- Lilasiandude

- Sllammer

Offline Artybn

• Storm Member
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 07:21:57 AM »
Quote from: Lilasiandude
If you start getting really tired, you can do like me and speed way up, and start swerving all over the raod.  It always wakes me up to spin my car out or something.

Now thats the kind of driver I always like to meet in the oncoming traffic. Some guy, half asleep doing 80 mph and swerving all over the road  :shock:

Quote from: Hratgard

Hey, Im not harrasing the french.... only...

Im saying norwegians pwns everyone, and the United Nations agree. >;)

Offline Thedeacon

• Experienced
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 08:05:53 AM »
damn deacon.

you're a paranoid mofo.

I am :/

Even after everything I've lived through, people never cease to horrify with how cruel and senseless they can be >.<  

Doesn't stop me from caring and praying for everyone, but these days, every time I think about a woman driving alone, like 10,000 nightmare scenarios come to mind o_O

Lol, my paranoia is probably THE worst thing to hear right before going on a long trip, eh?  It's like standing on top of the Empire State Building and having some idiot say "don't look down".

Offline Jassel

• Experienced
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 07:51:34 PM »
My mom tld me don't worry so much about a "car kit"  She signed me up with a membership to AAA so that if something goes wrong with the car, then I just have to call them up. Plus they are giving me maps and guide books for all the states I am drivin through.

I'll grab some mase/pepper spray. I asked the guy at the store (they didn't have any have to hunty else where) said that the only state around here that it is illegal in is NY. I won't be going through there, so I'm good.

I'll pop in to say hola when I get down there, but not sure when cause I'll not have internet for I don't know how long. Just so Deac doesn't worry so much :)

Offline Ahio

• Former Storm Member
  • Experienced
  • Cyb0r Points: +25/-3
  • Anarchy Online: Ahio
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 10:12:19 PM »
Quote from: Artybn

Now thats the kind of driver I always like to meet in the oncoming traffic. Some guy, half asleep doing 80 mph and swerving all over the road  :shock:

It'll wake you up too!  :P

Offline Feetus

• Don't blame me
  • Administrator
  • Grandmaster
  • Cyb0r Points: +122/-63
  • Must .... spam .... more ....
  • Anarchy Online: Feetus
  • AO Alts: Treydor, Pimperoni
  • Steam: Feetus
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 02:35:07 AM »
I live in the US, and I'll be moving pretty close to you actually....  :twisted:

Okay, so curiosity is killing the cat now ... and Texas is a big ass state ... so where ya heading to? :P

Also ... one other thing to note, whenever you stop places, lead on to people as if you are traveling with a guy. If people think your man is waiting in the car while you're checking into the hotel room, or whatever it may be, then less chance anyone is going to think about doing anything. You never know what creep is standing around and waiting to follow you back out if they over hear you're alone. At a minimum, just don't be upfront that you are traveling alone.

Offline Critt

• Apprentice
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 02:41:39 AM »
A semi automatic pistol and a grenade does the job.

Offline Jassel

• Experienced
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 02:43:40 AM »
Quote from: Feetus
I live in the US, and I'll be moving pretty close to you actually....  :twisted:

Okay, so curiosity is killing the cat now ... and Texas is a big ass state ... so where ya heading to? :P

Also ... one other thing to note, whenever you stop places, lead on to people as if you are traveling with a guy. If people think your man is waiting in the car while you're checking into the hotel room, or whatever it may be, then less chance anyone is going to think about doing anything. You never know what creep is standing around and waiting to follow you back out if they over hear you're alone. At a minimum, just don't be upfront that you are traveling alone.

Don't you wish you knew where I was going? :P

So, put back on my old wedding band, and when I go into the gas stations and stuff.. get like two pops instead of one? And if someone asks where I am headed or something.. I just say the hubby and I are on a vacation and giggle? I think I can handle acting that. :)

Offline Schuyler

• Experienced
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 02:49:07 AM »
yes we would like to know where you r going oomgz 0.0!!

Offline frakk

• Storm Member
  • Grandmaster
  • Cyb0r Points: +21/-18
  • Planting his seeds in the P2P world.
    • http://home.no.net/frakk2k
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 02:49:51 AM »
I think im gonna move to the US and become the a "creep" in the roadside, sounds like a lot of fun.

Frakk : 205 or something MA - I am also Sunye, Amazing doctor during the day, shemale stripper at night!

Offline Jassel

• Experienced
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 03:17:02 AM »
Not on the roadside. but I'll be stopping at rest stops and gas stations in the middle of the night, when its all dark and stuff.. and I'm not exactly strong, or things to that nature. Stuff like that.. its scary for a girl.. well at least for this girl it is

lol Critt.. I don't have time to get registered and what not :P

a friend told me a pocket knife will do the trick, but I don't want some oddball's blood on me.. Mase will work just fine, and I'm picking some up tomorrow night after work.. I'll be ready.. I think  :?

Offline Schuyler

• Experienced
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 03:18:26 AM »
you still didn't answer our q where joo going 0.0. and you don't have to be strong just kick teh guy in teh nutz and you will be cooolz!!

Offline Jassel

• Experienced
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 03:24:42 AM »
haha.. ok.. so I shouldn't wear like jeans then cause it'll restrict how high I can kick.

And I am going to Texas.. again.. different area this time though.

Offline Thedeacon

• Experienced
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2004, 03:36:12 AM »
Quote from: Feetus

That's good advice!!

Offline Tolbat

• Experienced
    • http://www.lax-lan.tk
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2004, 03:39:34 AM »
Quote from: frakk

*giggle*

That's because Americans have reasons to be paranoid :(

No you dont.  Thats only what media wants you too think..

USA is as safe as sweden or  Russia, being paranoid sux balls (i know) and it wont help your dayli life.

Offline Jassel

• Experienced
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2004, 04:18:21 AM »
Alright here I go.. First off I wanna thank everyone for the great advice you gave and for no one flaming the thread :P

I'll be usuing all advice given in this journey, and it is all very appreciated! I'll be back on the forums and in game as soon as I get internet, which I don't know when that will be. Hopefully soon though!

Everything is packed and I won't have time before I leave to be back on here.. I work tomorrow and then my family is having a farewell dinner for me tomorrow night. Then I'll be packing the car, and first thing thursday I'll be on the road!

Wish me luck, cause I may very well need it! Thanks Stormers! And enjoy the AI release for me will ya? :)

SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
ModernDark64 design by Bloc
Page created in 0.237 seconds with 26 queries.